Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I discovered a wonderful organic farm while I was at the anniversary celebration at Gateway a few weeks ago. Maharishi Vedic City Organic Farm (MVCOF) had a table displaying their produce and advertising their CSA program. I had been buying their produce at Gateway without knowing where it came from (I buy any produce that is labeled "local" or "Iowa grown" and many times it is not labeled with where it is actually coming from). I bought some beautiful broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, cilantro, and carrots from their display. I also picked up some information about their CSA program. We are already members of the Blue Gate Farm CSA program during the summer and fall, but I was thrilled to find out that MVCOF has a CSA program available year round!! They have a huge greenhouse which allows them to grow produce in the winter when the ground outside is frozen. Last year I had a hard time finding local produce from December to April, so I am really excited to participate in their CSA for the winter months. We visited the farm earlier this month and had a chance to interview Dean Goodale, who is the farm manager of MVCOF. Their greenhouse is an impressive 80,000 square feet growing tons of certified organic produce. We bought a CSA box full of vegetables while we were visiting and enjoyed the winter greens, lettuce, cauliflower and fresh herbs.